Being a parent is hard work and time consuming. With the amount of time it takes to care for and manage your family and household, it may feel like you are constantly in a struggle with not having enough time. A lot of things in life take effort and time to complete…but Healthy Little Cooks wants you to know that cooking healthy for your family doesn’t have to be one of them. Here are 13 dishes that happen to be quick and easy to prepare and are sure to please your family!
1. Pasta Red Sauce– This should be a staple in your household. It’s easy to prepare and only takes about 30 minutes to cook. It’s also versatile, as it goes great with your favorite pasta, cooked chicken, or roasted vegetables.
2. Pesto– Pesto is a green sauce with a basil and garlic base. It’s easy to prepare and the perfect addition to pasta.
3. Bean Burritos– These are super simple to prepare and an excellent source of fiber!
4. Homemade Pizza– Making your own pizza is a quick and fun dish to have the whole family be involved in. It’s also a great time to sneak in some extra veggies into the family’s diet.
5. Tacos– Layer cooked, seasoned chicken (or turkey, beef, fish, or tofu) with lettuce, tomato, and homemade guacamole.
6. Mashed Potatoes– All this dish requires is boiling quartered potatoes (white, yellow, or sweet) for 15 minutes, drain, then mash. Add in milk, butter (or butter substitute), and salt and pepper to taste. Also, try leaving the skins on for the added fiber and nutrition (which is primarily found in the skin).
7. Roasted Vegetables– Simply roast your favorite vegetables (cubed and quartered, and tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper) at 475° degrees for 40 minutes. Yummy and easy!
8. Boiled Eggs (Hard and Soft)– Boiled eggs can be used as a versatile dish: for breakfast, brunch, lunch (as egg salad), or as an appetizer. Also, they can be hard or soft boiled for variety in taste and texture.
9. Roasted Chicken – To go along with your favorite side dish, roasted chicken is a crowd-pleasing recipe that’s sure to be requested time and time again!
10. Grilled Cheese– This classic sandwich is gooey and satisfying! Create a healthy spin by using whole grain bread, a butter substitute, and feel free to experiment with cheese and sneaking in veggies.
11. Pancakes– Making pancakes should be on your list of know-how dishes. They’re easy to prepare and easy to make. Also, try mixing in fruits (such as bananas or apples) to your pancakes to boost up the nutritional factor. Try this vegan pancake recipe as a start.
12. Omelets– If you know how to make scrambled eggs, then you can make an omelet. Just skip the scrambling part in the pan and add in your favorite chopped veggies, meats, and cheeses to create an excellent dish for breakfast, brunch, or dinner (breakfast as dinner is a favorite amongst adults and kids alike!).
13. Chicken Soup– All you need is broth (chicken or vegetable), carrots, onion, garlic, celery salt, and chicken. You can even use leftover chicken, such as from your roasted chicken dish!
[share title=”Share This!” socials=”facebook, twitter, google, pinterest, bookmark” class=”” icon_type=”fade” ]