If you’re family is like ours, cold weather is the perfect excuse for making hot chocolate. It’s yummy, creamy and oh so sweet, a kids dream. With 18 inches of snow in the forecast this weekend, I decided to hit the kitchen to find a healthier version of my kids favorite “mommy it’s cold outside” treat. Because most kids like smoothies and its an easy fix to make on their own, this is the perfect recipes for kids of all ages.Hot Chocolate Smoothie
- 2 cups water Use hot water if your blender will allow it
- 2-3 Medjool dates * see notes (can sub for honey)
- 1/2 tablespoon Chia Seeds * see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Whipped cream
* RECIPE NOTES: Dates - If you're not using a high speed blender like a Vitamix, soak your dates in hot water to soften a little before adding them to your blender. If you don't have dates, that's OK! substitute them with 1-2 tablespoons of honey.
Chia Seeds - Soak your chia seeds in 1/4 cup of water to make it easier to blend. Don't be alarmed - they will be slimy before you add them to your hot chocolate smoothie. But, once blended will create a rich creamy drink.
RECIPE CHALLENGE: Although yummy as is - this is a basic hot chocolate smoothie recipe, feel free to amp it up with your own favorite flavors. Some other ways you can make it are:
Substitute dates for honey Add ground ginger to create a spicy kick Swap the chia seeds for 1 tablespoon of peanut butter Swap the water for your favorite milk (if you do this, cut the chia seeds in half)Share this Recipe