You probably hear how important it is to eat green leafy veggies from your parents and others who care about your well being all too frequently. But unfortunately knowing something is good for you and wanting to eat it are sometimes two very different things! If you need an easy and delicious ways to get more of those all important greens, a green smoothie is the way to go! In addition to the nutrition and flavor benefits of green smoothies, they are super fun to make because you don’t even need a recipe! By following these few simple guidelines, you can play the role of chef as you create your own custom smoothie blend!
- Get Fruity! Pick out one or two fruits to give your smoothie a sweet taste naturally. Frozen bananas are a popular choice because of the creamy, ice cream like texture they provide, but berries, apples, and pineapple are also great options. Don’t be afraid to take a risk with other fruits you like though; let your creativity and preferences rule!
- Go Green! If you are new to including veggies in your smoothies a handful of dark leafy greens is a good amount of greens to start with for your smoothie creation. Gradually aim to add in two to three handfuls. Baby spinach is a good choice for beginners because of its mild flavor. Later experiment with kale, romaine lettuce, and dandelion greens for variety.
- Protein Power! If you are making your green smoothie to serve as a meal, you’ll want to add a protein source to your smoothie. Try a scoop or two of nut butter or chia seed for protein and a healthy fat to boot!
- Make it Straw Ready! Now that you have your main ingredients added to your smoothie you may want to add some additional liquid to adjust the consistency and make it easier to sip. Water, milk or milk alternative, or 100 percent fruit juice all work well!
- Add a Little Something Extra! At this point in your smoothie making, you have a complete smoothie, but you can now add a little something extra to make it really special! Experiment with different additions, but here are a few ideas for inspiration: cinnamon, vanilla extract, coconut oil, or unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Blend and Enjoy! Congrats, Healthy Little Cook, you are ready to drink your green veggies! Be sure to share your favorite creation with us on the Healthy Little Cooks’ Facebook page!