You may have been dreaming about Christmas for weeks (or months!), but if all those daydreams about Christmas haven’t included figuring out the gifts you are going to give to friends and family, Healthy Little Cooks is here to help with a tasty gift you can whip up in your own kitchen! Teachers, neighbors, and family members are sure to love a DIY Christmas gift of flavorful and healthy roasted nuts you made yourself. P.S. You may need to make extra because you won’t be able to resist this fabulous treat!
What You Need:
- Two cups of nuts of choice per gift you wish to make. Good options include pecans, cashews, and almonds.
- Two tablespoons of a healthy fat of choice per gift you wish to make. Good options include extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil (for sweeter options), or grass fed butter.
- Spices and herbs. See below for flavor options and ideas.
- Honey—if you want to make nuts with a sweet flavor.
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper (optional, but helpful)
- Mason jars or bags for wrapping
- Adult helper for using the oven
What You Do:
- Start by deciding what nuts you would like to use and how you would like to flavor your nuts. Use your favorite spices and herbs or try these ideas:
Sea salt and olive oil
Cinnamon and honey with coconut oil
Rosemary and butter
Chili powder and olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Put two cups of nuts into a large bowl.
- If your fat option is a solid, heat in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until fat is melted.
- Pour two tablespoons of chosen fat over nuts.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of seasonings of choice over nuts. You may add additional seasonings in ¼ teaspoon increments if desired for more intense flavoring.
- Toss all ingredients together until nuts are evenly coated.
- Place nuts in an even layer on a sheet of parchment paper on top of a large baking sheet.
- Grab your adult helper and get ready to put nuts in the oven to roast. Bake until nuts begin to crisp into a golden brown hue. This typically takes about ten minutes, but ask your adult helper to help you keep an eye on things so you can remove nuts early or leave them in an extra minute or two as needed.
- With adult help, remove nuts from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Package nuts in fun Christmas containers. Mason jars with ribbon, bags with bows, or decorative boxes all make great options!