Going out to eat can be lots of fun! Fancy menus, waiters tending to your requests, and much more all combine to make it a blast to go out to eat with your friends and family. Guess what! You don’t have to wait till the next time your parents want to go out to eat to have all that fun; you can create your own pretend restaurant right at home, using things you already have laying around the house!
What You Need:
*Note: these items are just suggestions to get you started. Use your creativity to make additions, subtractions, and substitutions of your choosing to make your pretend restaurant uniquely yours!
For Restaurant Set Up:
- Card tables
- Large boxes
- Extra chairs, stools, or smaller sturdy boxes
- Scrap fabric, wrapping paper, or butcher paper to use as tablecloths
- Paper plates and plastic flatware
- Flowers from the yard for centerpiece (be sure to ask your parents’ permission before picking!)
For Taking Orders
- Spiral notepads to write down orders
- Colored paper to use to make menus
For Waiters or Waitresses:
- Labels, stickers, or tape to use as name tags
Once your restaurant is all set up, you are ready to play! Invite your friends and family to be guests at your restaurant. Challenge yourself to come up with a creative and healthy menu you wish you could see at a real restaurant. Take it a step further by asking your parents if you and your family can eat an actual meal at your restaurant and/or see if you can work with your parents to try cooking some of the creations you put on your menu.