With their refined carbs, gluten, and excess sugar, most traditional pancakes are better suited as part of a dessert buffet than as part of a healthy breakfast! If you love pancakes, but want to fuel your body with something better to get your day started, we are here to help! These delicious pancakes are good for you, only require a few ingredients, and are easy peasy to make! You may like them so much that you want to eat them all day! Grab an adult helper and get started now!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
*Note: amounts are for one serving (1 large pancake or 3 small pancakes. Increase quantities for a larger batch*
-1 Ripe banana. The riper the banana the softer the texture and sweeter the taste will be. Additionally, ripe bananas are also easier for your stomach to digest!
-1 ½ Tbs binding agent. Good choices include almond meal, ground flaxseed, gluten free flour blend
-1 Tbs coconut oil
-Spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice
-100% Pure maple syrup
Here’s What You’ll Do:
- Ask an adult to help you to make sure this project is fun and safe!
- Peel banana and break into chunks in bowl.
- Use fork to mash banana until smooth.
- Crack egg and add to banana.
- Scoop binding agent to mixture.
- Stir all ingredients together until smooth.
- Add coconut oil to pan and allow it to heat over medium high heat (don’t forget that adult helper!). You can use other healthy cooking oils, but the mild sweet flavor of coconut oil makes it a great choice!
- Pour batter into hot pan (another job best left to your adult helper!)
- Allow pancake to cook on first side until edges begin to turn golden brown (cooking times will vary, but one minute is a good estimate).
- Flip pancake and allow second side to cook.
- Serve and enjoy! These taste great as is, or you can top with any of the optional suggestions above or your own creative ideas!